Friday, October 10, 2008

Back Online!

I am blogging.



Thus, I am on a computer.



And it is 10:30 on a Friday morning.



So I'm not on a computer at the library.



Which means?



We have our new computer! YAY!



Ha we got it in yesterday, earlier than we expected. We set it up this morning; the only thing we have left to do is get the speakers working. I already create an account; I like having my own account. That way all of my pictures and everything can be organized the way I want them to. Anyway... The screen is stinkin huuuge! It's a 22 inch screen. The only thing is that it stretches like pictures. Which is horrible. I bet there is something we can do about it though. Hm.



The keyboard works so great lol our old one had so much junk between the keys, this one is pretty smooth. I'm having fun on it. =D On the desktop it has weather for Roswell and yeah it's all pretty cool. =]



So we have been working cattle. I am DREADING when the day hands leave. It's going to be awful. I mean... I love living out, and on a ranch. But when your Daddy is your boss, Mama your teacher, and Grandpa and brother your co-workers, and you never see other people... It can be quite miserable at times. I see skeet range people, none near my age, and lately haven't even seen them. Then I see my piano teacher, and then just sometimes people we know like at WalMart and such.



I have alot more fun riding colts and working cattle with other people around. They make it so fun, I can't believe tomorrow is our last day. ='[



Ya know what's funny? My name is Caitlin, and everybody calls me that but my Daddy and Grandpa. If anybody starts to, I ask them not to do it. Except like ranch folk. Like when Will was here, he called me Katie and I had no problem. Same with Clint. It makes me feel... special. Haha! And now Wade calls me that, and Jered some. I just feel like they are.... I don't know, my big brothers or something. I know that sounds weird, but seriously!



Lathe cracks me up. Every time he sees me almost, if I accidentally let a calf out, or if I'm not paying a whole lot of attention, he says "Caitlin! What are you doing?" And it's the way he says things that cracks me up. Oh goodness...



Lathe is really cool. He lives like in Portales and he is Christian. In fact they host a Cowboy Fellowship that he started every Monday night in their barn, and he sometimes preaches. We were sorting cattle in a trap the other day and there was absolutely nothing going on in the middle, where we were stationed, so he rides over and we talked for like 40 minutes. He was telling me how he got saved and everything, it was pretty cool. Ha I drove a rig over to them one day, and I'd had a country music station on. Charlie Pride's, "I've Never Been So Loved In All My Life" was on, but when we all piled in the truck it was Kid Rock's crappy new song "All Summer Long". Lathe asks, "You like Kid Rock?" I'm like "Heck NO. Charlie Pride was on." He asks if I like Charlie Pride, and I said yeah I love all that old stuff like Chris LeDoux and the Oakridge Boys and he turns around in the seat and looks at me and goes, "Really?! Aw you and I need to ride together!" LOL.

So yeah the crew is pretty cool. I'm gonna miss em when they leave but I guess they can't stay forever. I'm off today because if I would have gone they would have needed to take 3 trailers instead of 2 so I was off. Which is okay I guess. Hm.

It's been a pretty good week. We have lots of good help. Wade, Jered, Dewey, Lathe and like every other day another Jared and a guy named Seth.

At the start of the week we gathered North Adobe and South Adobe and threw them into Adobe Trap. Then we gathered Adobe Trap, and drove it through Silmon, up to North Camp, where we sorted, weaned, processed, etc. Well when coming out of Silmon on our way to the pens, the crew (not ME, mind you, I didn't spill a single darned thing) spilled a few head; they were being kinda pushy. Well there was this one black Brahma-looking type cow who got real hot and just has a nasty disposition, so we dropped her to get her later.

So the next day, we gathered Silmon, the pasture the cow got dropped in. I got to take the outside fence on Alfred, and I saw nothing until we hit the overheads where Silmon, Racetrack and the North Trap meet. She was hanging right there; she had buddied up with cattle across the fence. I go riding up on Alfred (who has gotten better all week) and those cattle move off. She turns to look at me and I knew right off she was still ticked. I was about 100 feet away and she takes a few steps and Alfred gets tight and raises his head. He has never had a cow come at him, never been around them a whole lot, and she just had that air about her. Well she comes to trotting and this poor sucker goes to running backwards; Daddy could see it from a hill he was on a ways off. I didn't want to let him turn because I didn't want him running off. So finally I turn him to the side and she makes a run at us, blows by, and off down the fence she trots.

Well. It was obvious I wasn't about to get Alfred very near her, and I doubt anybody even well-mounted could have gotten her alone without roping her.

So no black cow that day. But I guess today they are going back through that pasture and will try to pick her up the sorry critter.

I've had horses spooking all week with me. Alfred is pretty green so he spooked at that cow (I mean he was running backwards now), he has also spooked at an ant-hill (I am not kidding), a fence post laying on the ground, and a deer shed. Gosh. I mean not just booger a little, spook as in suck back and run to the side. Sheesh. And then yesterday I was trying to ride Wyatt up into the crowd tub, where he had never been, it was awful. I had some Jolly Ranchers and Lathe was whining about it (lol) and I couldn't get that horse up to the side to save my life, so I finally threw one at him. Then I hollered and Seth about the candy, and he comes and jumps right up on the walk on the side of that tub, spooked Wyatt, golly that horse can suck back when he wants to. I ended up throwing candy to everybody lol.

Okay this has been longer than I intended. I now must go and resume my temporary position as kitchen slave. Adios!

2 comments:

Joshua said...

Hmm... half this post is déjà vu. I wonder why. Is the photo problem just for backgrounds on you desktop?

Joshua

Joshua said...

Eight days of slacking...